Monte L. Barton Jr. is a shareholder based in the firm’s Ridgeland office. He is a civil litigation attorney practicing in all Mississippi state and federal courts since 1991. He has primarily represented businesses and individuals in personal injury cases, insurance coverage litigation, and contract disputes for over 28 years. He has substantial experience defending clients in wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims arising out of drownings, vehicle collisions, and industrial accidents, and claims involving mental and physical injuries, and alleged sexual misconduct. He also has significant practical experience handling employment related claims under the ADA and FMLA, construction litigation, collections, and miscellaneous agency actions.
Monte has successfully tried over 30 jury trials including claims of wrongful death, personal injury, sexual misconduct, wrongful termination, insurance bad faith, and business and contract disputes. He has personally handled hundreds of courtroom hearings and depositions. He has also been local trial counsel for national grocery stores, retailers, hotels, and recreational facilities and youth organizations. Monte’s experience includes:
• Serious claims arising out of catastrophic injuries and sexual misconduct.
• Pharmacy cases – alleging misfilled prescriptions.
• Litigation involving insurance coverage, indemnity agreements, contracts, business transactions, and governmental regulations.
• 42 U.S.C. § 1983 lawsuits – Qualified Immunity defense of law enforcement officers and agencies in “color of law” claims alleging violations of Constitutional civil rights, arising out of use of off-duty law enforcement officers as security guards.
• Malicious prosecution, false arrest, and false imprisonment claims arising out of shoplifting incidents.
• Employment law, FMLA and ADA claims, wrongful termination, OSHA and workplace safety violations, and claims for unemployment benefits before the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
• Construction defect litigation and related matters, including surety bond claims, liens, and other collection issues.
• Intellectual property claims alleging software copyright infringement and trade dress issues.
• Insurance, risk management, agriculture, forestry, zoning and land use issues.
• Products liability claims.
He enjoys being a lawyer and, in particular, meeting with and interviewing witnesses and conducting investigations.
- University of Mississippi, Juris Doctor, May 1991
- Chairman, Honor Council
- Chairman, Moot Court Board
- Chairman, Trial Competition
- Phi Delta Phi, member
- Mississippi State University, Bachelor of Science, May 1988, Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Economics, Outstanding Senior Student Award
- Student President, College of Agriculture
- President, Agricultural Economics Club
Bar & Court Admissions
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts (1991)
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell – AV Peer Review Rated
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Madison Heights Church (Deacon)
- Madison County Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Agricultural Law Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Madison-Ridgeland Rotary Club (Past President)
- Lake Castle Homeowners Association (Past President)
- Madison County Chamber of Commerce, Council of Governments (Facilitator – past)
- Madison Station Elementary School PTO (Philanthropy Committee Chairman – past)
- USA Swimming, Certified Youth Swim Meet Official, Turn & Stroke certification
- Madison County Business League & Foundation, Youth Leadership Committee
- Stone v. Kroger Limited Partnership I, 2018 WL 4262230, 736 Fed.Appx. 513 (5th Cir. 2018)
- Davis v. City of Jackson, 240 So.3d 381(Miss. 2018)
- Lewis v. Kroger Limited Partnership I, 2018 WL 3434699, 731 Fed.Appx. 339 (5th Cir. 2018)
- Chapman v. Kroger Ltd. Partnership, 2012 WL 775812 (S.D. Miss. 2012)
- Everitt v. Pneumo Abex, L.L.C., 2011 WL 493102, 411 Fed.Appx. 726 (5th Cir. 2011)
- Barbour Intern., Inc. v. Permasteel, Inc., 2007 WL 2253478, 507 F.Supp.2d 602 (S.D. Miss. 2007)
- Wansley v. Speed Corp., 900 So.2d 1167 (Miss. 2005)
- Trotter v. Steadman Motors, Inc., 1999 WL 257756, 47 F.Supp.2d 791 (S.D. Miss. 1999)
- Powell v. Target Corporation, 2016 WL 4573974 (S.D. Miss. 2016)
- Target Corp. v. McFarland, 2015-TS-00350 (Miss. 2015)
- Marion County Economic Development Dist. v. Wellstone Apparel, LLC, 2013 WL 3328690 (S.D. Miss. 2013)
- Splain v. Kroger Limited Partnership, I, 2012 WL 13075554 (S.D. Miss. 2012)
- Elliot v. La Quinta Corp., 2007 WL 757891 (N.D. Miss. 2007)