Julie B. Mitchell
Julie B. Mitchell is a PLLC and an equity shareholder at Hagwood and Tipton. Mitchell holds a master’s degree in health law (LL.M. Health Law). As an attorney whose primary focus is health care law, Mitchell’s practice encompasses such matters as: stark, fraud and abuse, Medicare and Medicaid payment issues, corporate compliance, CON law, provider and physician contracts, health care corporate matters, hospital law, DMEPOS matters, licensure and certification, HIPAA, nursing home law and health care integration. She was recently named to Best Lawyers in America in Health Law. She served as chair to the Mississippi Bar, Health Law Section for 2018-2019.
Mitchell has significant experience representing providers in health care fraud and abuse government investigations covering a wide range of matters such as billing irregularities, quality of care issues, and Stark and anti-Kickback arrangements. Mitchell has successfully negotiated settlements with numerous government entities such as the U.S. Department of Justice and the Office of Inspector General. She also works with providers encountering Unified Program Integrity Contractor, Zone Program Integrity Contractor, Recovery Audit Contractor and Medicare Administrative Contractor audits. In her representation of health care providers on these matters, she assists clients with internal investigations, compliance development, implementation audits, and improvements and appeals. She also advises and counsels clients in self-disclosure matters.
Julie and her family reside in Madison, Mississippi.
Mitchell represents a wide array of health care providers, such as hospitals, physicians, home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities, personal care homes, hospices, durable medical equipment suppliers, therapy companies, pharmacies and physicians.
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- LL.M – 1997
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, Mississippi
- J.D. – 1995
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- B.B.A. – 1992
- Major: Marketing and Management
- Mississippi, 1995
- Illinois, 1997
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 1997
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member, 2005-Present
- American Health Care Association, Associate Member
- Mississippi Bar Association, Member, 1995-Present
- Mississippi Health Care Association, Associate Member
- Madison County Bar Association
- Madison County Business League (Member of Health and Wellness Committee)