J. Michael Coleman
J. Michael (Mike) Coleman is a founding shareholder with Hagwood and Tipton and practices in the firm’s Ridgeland, Mississippi office. He was born in Jackson, Mississippi in 1967. Since graduating from law school, Mike has concentrated his practice in the areas of medical malpractice defense, general insurance defense, bad faith insurance defense, and products liability defense. Mike also focuses on appellate work, briefing and arguing cases before Mississippi’s Appellate Courts and the Fifth and Sixth Circuit Courts of Appeals. He holds the AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability. He was recently named a “Leader in the Law” by the Mississippi Business Journal. Mike is admitted to practice in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee, and the Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Sixth Circuits.
- J.D., Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, 1999
- B.A., Communications, Mississippi State University, 1991
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Northern District of Mississippi
- United States District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Leader in the Law” by Mississippi Business Journal
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Motorcyclist Association
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, Fellow
- Defense Research Institute
- Hinds County Bar Association
- Madison County Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association, Board of Directors – Central District
- Mississippi Tort Claims Board
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tri-County Mountain Bike Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Sanders v. Causey, Circuit Court of Hinds County, MS (plaintiff’s verdict rendered 2003)
- Spears v. Simmons, Circuit Court of Lamar County, MS (defense verdict rendered 3/21/08)
- Jones v. Young, County Court of Hinds County, MS (nominal damages verdict rendered 3/2/09)
- Flanders v. Copeland, Circuit Court of Rankin County, MS (defense verdict rendered 3/30/09)
- Buckley v. Horton, Circuit Court of Forrest County, MS (defense verdict rendered 9/1/09)
- Frye v. Stretch, Circuit Court of Jefferson County, MS (defense verdict rendered 2009)
- Howell v. Equipment, Inc., Circuit Court of Hinds County, MS (defense verdict rendered 10/9/12)
- Stewart v. Barton, Circuit Court of Pearl River County, MS. (defense verdict rendered 1/3/13)
- Thomas v. Lewis, Circuit Court of Hinds County, MS (directed verdict for defense rendered 7/19/17)
- Angle v. Wade, Circuit Court of Grenada County, MS (defense verdict rendered 8/18/17)
- Scott v. Lewis, Circuit Court of Hinds County, MS (directed verdict for defense 10/22/18)
- Watson v. UMMC (directed verdict for UMMC)
- Martin v. UMMC (Plaintiff’s verdict of $500,000)
- Littleton v. UMMC (Plaintiff’s verdict at trial court level for $500,000 – reversed and rendered on appeal)
- Taylor v. UMMC (directed verdict for UMMC)
- Bryan v. UMMC (defense verdict)
- Nickerson v. UMMC (defense verdict)
- Williams v. Vicksburg (Plaintiff’s verdict $150,000 (on appeal)
- Ashcraft v. City of Vicksburg, 2013 WL 3207411 (S.D. Miss. June 24, 2013).
- DeGruy v. Wade, 2013 WL 3225019 (N.D. Miss. June 25, 2013).
- DeGruy v. Wade, 2013 WL 1092414 (N. D. Miss. March 15, 2013).
- Laney v. Vance, 112 So. 3d 1079 (Miss. 2013).
- McKeown v. Pitcock, 79 So. 3d 520, (Miss. App. 2011).
- Horn v. Vaughan, 469 F. Appx. 360 (5th 2012).
- Allstate Ins, Co. v. Perkins, 327 Fed. Appx. 518 (5th 2009).
- Stuart v. U. of Miss. Med. Ctr., 21 So. 3d 544 (Miss. 2009).
- Alfa Ins. Corp. v. Cobb Const., Inc., 2008 WL 1840625, (S.D. Miss. April 23, 2008).
- Allstate Ins. Co., v. Perkins, 2008 WL 4283648, (N.D. Miss. Sept. 15, 2008).
- Causey v. Sanders, 998 So. 2d 393 (Miss. 2008).
- Thompkins v. Allstate Ins. Co., 2007 WL 3027407, (S.D. Miss. Oct. 15, 2007).
- Freeman v. U. of Miss. Med. Ctr., 944 So. 2d 75 (Miss. App. 2006).
- Hales v. Respiratory Testing, 188 Fed. Appx. 305 (5th 2006).
- Harper v. Albertson’s, Inc., 2005 WL 2361953, (S.D. Miss. Sept. 26, 2005).
- Brooks v. Roberts, 882 So. 2d 229 (Miss. 2004).
- Sanders v. G.D. Searle & Co., 2004 WL 443886, (N.D. Miss. Mar. 4, 2004).
- Brown v. Warren, 858 So. 2d 168 (Miss. App. 2003).
- Corey v. Skelton, 834 So. 2d 681 (Miss. 2003).
- Frye v. Airco, Inc., 269 F. Supp. 2d 743, (S.D. Miss. 2003).
- Benjamin v. Cornwell Well Service, 836 So. 2d 792 (Miss. App. 2002).
- City of Vicksburg v. Williams, 191 So.3d 1242 (Miss. May 26, 2016)
- Harper v. Albertson’s, Inc., 2005 WL 2361953 (S.D. Miss. September 26, 2005) (not reported)
- Walker v. Williamson, 2016 WL 2771792 (S.D. Miss. May 12, 2016) (not reported)
- DeGruy v. Wade, 586 Fed. Appx. 652 (5th Cir. 2014) (unpublished)
- Collins v. Westbrook, 184 So. 3d 922 (Miss. 2016)
- SSC Selma Operating Co., LLC v. Gordon, (Ala. 2012)
- The U. of Mississippi Med. Ctr. v. Littleton, 213 So. 3d 525 (Miss. App. 2016)
- Speaker, “Expert Witness Testimony in Medical Malpractice Cases,” Mississippi Trial & Appellate Judges Fall Conference, Jackson, Mississippi, October 21-23, 2015.
- Speaker and Chairman, “Selling the Evidence: Using Media at Trial,” Joint Seminar of Mississippi Claims Association and Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association, Jackson, Mississippi, October 16, 2014.
- Monitoring an Evolution – Emerging Trends in Vicarious Liability, For the Defense – Medical Liability and Health Care Law, August 2013.