Hunter C. Carroll
Hunter C. Carroll is a founding shareholder in the Birmingham, Alabama office of Hagwood and Tipton. He has served as the firm’s President. He is currently on the Board of Directors and serves as the firm’s Vice-President. He practices in the Birmingham, Alabama, and Hillsborough, North Carolina offices. Hunter is a trial lawyer with a diverse litigation practice, specializing in the defense of businesses and professionals, including physicians, hospitals, long-term care, and senior housing facilities. Hunter also handles complex matters involving insurance, mass tort, premises liability, products liability, construction defect, and commercial disputes.
Hunter handles all phases of the litigation process, with a particular emphasis on trial. He has defended cases and claims in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. Hunter has tried dozens of cases to verdict, both jury and non-jury, and has handled appeals at all levels. Additionally, Hunter advises clients throughout the Southeast on compliance practices, risk management, and litigation strategies.
After receiving his bachelor’s degree, cum laude, in Business Administration and Accounting from Samford University in 1993, Hunter obtained his juris doctor from Cumberland School of Law in 1997. While in law school, he was recognized for his legal writing skills and served as the Research and Writing Editor for the American Journal of Trial Advocacy. In addition, he was selected as a Cordell Hull Teaching Fellow, a member of the Henry Upson Sims Moot Court Board and an Honor Court Justice. Hunter is also a member of the International Legal Honor Society, Phi Delta Phi.
Hunter has been awarded an AV Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, its highest rating for professional excellence in ethical standards and legal ability. He was nominated and invited to join the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance. Hunter is an active member of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, the Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, the Alabama State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Birmingham Bar Association, and the Defense Research Institute. Hunter is admitted to practice before all courts, both state and federal, within Alabama, and Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee, and has tried and arbitrated cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Hunter is married to the former Monica Lockhart, and they are the proud parents of three children: Adeline, Hunter and Olivia. While not at work, he enjoys sports and hunting. Hunter serves on the boards for several non-profit organizations and he and his family are members of Vestavia Hills United Methodist Church in Vestavia Hills, Alabama.
- Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, cum laude, J.D. 1997
- B.S., Business Administration and Accounting, Samford University, cum laude, 1993
Bar and Court Admissions
- Alabama Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- South Carolina Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of North Carolina
- Tennessee Supreme Court
Honors and Awards
- AV Distinguished Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Named a “Rising Star” in the areas of Civil Defense Litigation and Medical Malpractice: Defense 2008 Edition of Super Lawyers
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association
- American Journal of Trial Advocacy Foundation Board
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Fellow
- Professional Liability Committee
- Medical Liability Committee
- Defense Research Institute, Long Term Care Subcommittee, Member
- Georgia Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Tennessee Health Care Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Invited Speaker, Proactivity in Risk Prevention Risk Control Focus Areas, HealthServices Management Group Annual CEO/DON Meeting, Chattanooga, TN, March 9, 2016
- Invited Speaker, Regulations, Corporate Compliance and Quality Improvement, Litigation Risk and Defense Strategies for Long Term Care & Assisted Living Providers, Insurers, Brokers Conference, New York, New York, April 1, 2016
- Invited Speaker, Nursing Home and ALF Litigation 2015, Defense Research Institute, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 10-11, 2015
- Invited Speaker, Case Law Update: An Overview of Arbitration in Nursing Home and Assisted Living Cases, Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Birmingham, Alabama, 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Recap of 2016 LTC Risk Management Conference, New York, New York, Firm Attorneys Collaborate on State Profile for LTC Risk Legal Forum
- Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Reforms and Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities, Tennessee Health Care Association, August 2015
- Presenter, Litigation and Quality of Care Risks – The Top 10 List, Client Training, Mar. 9, 2016.
Recent Reported Decisions
- SSC Montgomery Cedar Crest Operating Co., LLC v. Bolding, 130 So. 3d 1194 (Ala. 2013)
- McElroy v. Fairview Nursing Home, 2012 WL 5289397 (N.D. Ala. October 23, 2012)
- Lyndon F. McCall, Personal Representative of the Estate of Yvonne J. McCall, deceased vs. SSC Montgomery South Haven Operating Company, LLC
- Cause No. 2:14-CV-588-MEF, In Re Arbitration, Montgomery, AL
- Received defense verdict – February 15, 2018
- Gwendolyn Jackson Pinnix and Warren Ivan Jackson, Executors of the Estate of David W. Jackson, Sr. v. SSC Silver Stream Operating Company, LLC
- Cause No. 7:14-CV-00161-FL – U.S. District Court, Eastern District North Carolina
- Unanimous verdict of only stipulated damages of $13,107.45 in wrongful death case – October 5, 2017
- Rosalyn Gardiner, as the Personal Representative of the Estate of Lillie Bell Hopson vs. SSC Birmingham Operating Company LLC, et al.
- Cause No. CV-2008-901737; In the Circuit Court of Jefferson County, Alabama
- Received defense verdict in ADR matter – December 11, 2016.
- Lyndon F. McCall, Personal Representative of the Estate of Yvonne J. McCall, Deceased vs. SSC Montgomery South Haven Operating Company LLC, et al.
- Cause No. 2:14-cv-00588, In the Circuit Court of Montgomery County, Alabama
- After litigating the matter for two years, prevailed on Motion to Compel Arbitration – May 31, 2016.
- Katrina Barnes v. SSC Birmingham Operating Company LLC, et al.
- Cause No. CV-2011-00114; In the Circuit Court of Jefferson County, Alabama
- Prevailed on summary judgment – March 4, 2014.
- Darlene Anderson Vail, Administratrix of the Estate of Lillie B. Anderson, Deceased vs. SSC Birmingham Operating Company LLC, et al.
- Cause No. CV-2007-02056; In the Circuit Court of Jefferson County, Alabama
- Received directed verdict at close of Plaintiff’s case – May 12, 2011.