James M. Smith
James Smith is a founding shareholder of the firm and practices in the Paris, Tennessee, office. James has developed a specialized practice in the rapidly growing area of Rental Purchase Law, where he advises clients throughout the country on compliance practices and litigation strategies.
James holds the AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability. He has tried dozens of cases, both jury and non-jury, across Alabama and Tennessee, and has handled appeals at all levels. He serves as coordinating counsel for clients throughout the Southeastern United States and is a Certified Litigation Management Professional.
James was born in Mt. Olive, Alabama in 1969. He is a member of Phi Eta Sigma, Omicron Delta Kappa, Curia Honoris, and Order of the Barristers. While in law school he was a Cordell Hull Teaching Fellow, Managing Editor of the Cumberland Law Review, and a member of the American Bar Association National Trial Team. Immediately upon graduation from law school, James clerked for the Honorable Hugh Maddox, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Alabama.
James is married to Tas and they have three children: Emily Ann, Sam, and Abby. The entire family is actively involved in their church where James serves as a deacon and teaches in the middle school department. He loves a good philosophical debate.
James serves his community as an active member of the Paris-Lakeway Kiwanis Club. He serves on the Plus Endowment Educational Foundation Board and the Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation Board. He is the Vice Chairman of the City of Paris Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. James also serves on the National Board of Directors for Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity.
- J.D., Samford University Cumberland School of Law, Cumberland Law Review, Managing Editor; Cordell Hull Teaching Fellow; ABA National Trial Team; Curia Honoris, Order of the Barristers, cum laude, 1998
- M.A., Ethics, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1995
- B.A., Human Relations and Religion, Samford University, cum laude, 1990
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Easter District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Supreme Court
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubbell®
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- Litigation Management Institute – Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP)
- Hon. Hugh Maddox, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Alabama