Jacob O. Malatesta
Jacob O. Malatesta is an attorney and shareholder with the firm and practices from the Jackson and Greenville, Mississippi, offices. He is a native of the Mississippi Delta where he began his legal career practicing in Clarksdale, then Greenville, and settling with his family in Jackson.
Jacob has successfully litigated medical malpractice claims against both hospitals and individual physicians, civil rights claims against governmental entities and their contractors, general liability claims (including property damage claims and premises liability), and extra-contractual liability claims directly against insurers. Jacob’s appellate practice includes numerous victories based on both procedural and substantive law.
Jacob has also handled cases involving agricultural law, crop insurance, and employment discrimination. He has experience litigating cases in both state and federal courts in Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Alabama, at both the trial and appellate levels, and holds the AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from MartindaleHubbell, its highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability. Jacob has also twice been named a Rising Star by the SuperLawyers publication, making him only one of three Rising Star SuperLawyers in medical malpractice litigation in Mississippi.
After obtaining an undergraduate degree in Spanish and English at the University of Mississippi, Jacob graduated cum laude from the University of Mississippi Law School. While in law school, Jacob was a member of Phi Delta Phi, an honorary legal fraternity. He was selected by his peers as a member of the Moot Court Board and later elected as a member of the Executive Board where he served as Appellate Advocacy Chairman. Jacob was also selected by his professors to participate in the Duberstein National Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition. He was later named Moot Court Member of the Year by the Moot Court Executive Board and inducted into the Order of Barristers.
Jacob lives in Jackson, Mississippi, with his wife, Christy, their sons, Peter and Andrew, and their dog, Yazoo. He is a member of St. Richard’s Catholic Church. In his free time, Jacob enjoys hunting, fishing, and serving as a beleaguered Ole Miss fan by spending warm fall Saturdays in The Grove.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Mississippi School of Law, 2008
- B.A., English and Spanish, University of Mississippi, 2005
Bar and Court Admissions
- Alabama State Courts
- Arkansas State and Federal Courts
- Georgia State Courts
- Mississippi State and Federal Courts
- North Carolina State and Federal Courts
- Oklahoma Western District Federal Court
- Tennessee State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
Honors and Awards
- Midsouth Super Lawyers, Rising Star; Medical Malpractice Litigation, 2016 – 2018
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating, 2012 – 2018
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Capitol Area Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute – Steering Committee 2019 Medical Liability Seminar
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Lawyers of Distinction (2018)
- Mississippi Business Journal’s Leaders in the Law (2018)
- Patton v. J & K Logging, LLC, 691 F. App’x 189 (5th Cir. 2017)
- Davis v. Blaylock, 212 So, 3d 755 (Miss 2017)
- The Univ. of Mississippi Med.Ctr. v. Littleton, 213 So. 3d 525, 530 (Miss. Ct. App. 2016)
- Taylor v. Delta Reg’l Med. Ctr., 186 So. 3d 384, 387 (Miss. Ct. App. 2016)
- Crowe v. GGNSC Ripley, LLC, 318 F. Supp. 3d 970 (N.D. Miss. 2018)
Unpublished Decisions and Result
- Anderson v. South Sunflower County Hospital, Southern District of Miss. (July 2018); Dismissal- Failure to Properly Serve Pre-Suit Notice
- Sanders v. Rafique, Leflore County Circuit Court (February 2018); Dismissal – Failure to Serve Process
- Iler v. Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Simpson County Circuit Court, (November 2017); Summary Judgment – Dram Shop Liability of all entities, national and local
- Angle v. Wade, Grenada County Circuit Court, Grenada, MS (August 2017); Jury Trial – Defense Verdict in Favor of ER Physician
- Jackson v. Transcare Ambulance, Grenada County Circuit Court (March 2017); Dismissal – Failure to Serve Process
- Patton v. J&K Logging, LLC, Southern District of Mississippi (November 2016); Summary Judgment – Timber Trespass and Ordinary Negligence Claims
- Nickerson v. The Univ. of Mississippi Med. Ctr., Hinds County Circuit Court (August 2016); Bench Trial – Defense Verdict in Favor of Hospital Physicians and Nurses
- Coach v, Doolittle, Washington County Circuit Court (February 2016); Summary Judgment – Failure to Serve Process
- Easley v. Portner, Washington County Circuit Court (November 2015); Summary Judgment – Dismissal of physician due to lack of expert proof
- Taylor v. The Univ. of Mississippi Med. Ctr., Hinds County Circuit Court (August 2015); Bench Trial –-Defense Verdict in Favor of Hospital Physicians and Nurses
- Stoker v. Miss. State Tax Comm’n, Southern District of Mississippi (September 2014); Dismissal – Failure to State a Claim, Limitations Period Lapsed
- Kingsbury v. Westlake Mgmt. Co., 2014 WL 3778908 (W.D. Okla. July 31, 2014); Dismissal of Purchasing Nursing Home Company from Alter Ego Claims
- Hanback v. GGNSC Southaven, LLC, 2014 WL 3530613 (N.D. Miss. July 15, 2014); Dismissal of Parent Companies for Lack of Personal Jurisdiction
- Smith v. Cepino County, Court of Hinds County (March 2012); Jury Trial – Defense Verdict in Favor of Driver Who Rear-Ended Plaintiff
- Understanding Recent Rule Changes, Statutes, and Case Law for Social Media Evidence CLE Presenter, National Business Institute, Social Media, Smartphones and Other Electronic Evidence – Developments and Case Law You Must Know Now, December 2018 Webinar.
- How to Explain Why Subpoenas Won’t Work in Social Media Discovery to Hard Headed Attorneys, Presenter, Annual Meeting Mississippi Paralegals Association, Jackson, Mississippi, September 2018.
- Obtaining and Using Social Media Evidence, CLE Presenter, National Business Institute, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email, and Smartphone Evidence: the Ultimate Guide, Jackson, Mississippi, June 2018
- Using the Facebook Archive in Long-Term Care Litigation, Presenter, LTC Risk Legal Forum, Las Vegas, March 2018
- Legal Trends in Arbitration, Speaker, Litigation Risk and Defense Strategies for Long Term Care & Assisted Living Providers, Insurers, Brokers Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2017
- “Wait, Who Do I Represent? – An Update on Hartford and Moeller” – Presenter, Joint Seminar of Mississippi Claims Association and Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association, Jackson, Mississippi, October 16, 2014